Monday, August 9, 2010

Summertime Pilsners

I attended the monthly tasting at the Pumphouse Brewery on 7/27. This month was Pilseners and our guest speaker was Bill Eye from Dry Dock Brewing Company.



We tasted: Corona (Mexico), Stella (Belgium), Heinenken (Holland), Pilsener Urquell, Czechvar, Bittburger, Paulaner Pils, Spaten, Budweiser (US), Boulevard Pilsner (american style lager), Pumphouse Pulaski Pilsner (German-style), Left Hand Polestar (German-style), Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yellow Pils (Czech-style), Gordon Biersch (Czech-style) and New Belgium Blue Paddle (Czech-style).


On Aug 2nd, I attended the monthly meeting of Ales for Females at Left Hand Brewing. The focus of this meeting was also on Pilsners. Head Brewer, Ro Guenzel, was our guest speaker. We tasted Left Hand's Polestar Pilsner, Pilsner Urquell and Miller Lite. These beers were served with german pretzels from Helga's Deli in Aurora, CO and Lowensent Extra Mustard (extra hot mustard from Germany).

Ro said that this is the beer he uses the most to judge the brewing capabilities of breweries since these beers are difficult to brew. I guess that is similar to how I use salsa to judge a Mexican restaurant. All good Mexican restaurants should be able to make an excellent salsa.

The Polestar Pilsner from Left Hand and Mama's Little Yellow Pils from Oskar Blues were my favorite of all the pilsners I tasted that week. But, I must admit that I am not really much of a lager lover.

Ales for All!

No comments:

Post a Comment